Installing PERL modules from CPAN (instead of ports)

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Sun May 4 16:59:45 UTC 2008

* Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> [2008-05-04 20:23:09 +0400]:

> Try to request help on perl at FreeBSD.org (cc'ed). Perl ports are
> usually very easy to create and maintain, so if you don't want to
> spend 30 minutes learning, someone with enough experience can
> probably do it in a couple of minutes if you ask nicely :)

I did not mean to imply I was unwilling to create the port; was just curious
about how to not "break" the existing setup when installing modules outside
of the ports tree.  Someone replied off-list suggesting I install to a
~/local dir and set $PERL5LIB to take that directory into account.

> Yes, making a new port is the easiest way to install something
> from CPAN.

I do prefer to keep everything organized in ports, so I created my first port:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/123382

Let's hope I didn't totally mess it up. :-)

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>