handling stale dependencies

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lc-words.com
Sat May 3 07:12:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

> Something went wrong earlier on, and portupgrade screwed up. It tried
> to upgrade png, got as far as uninstalling it, failed to install it
> and then failed to restore the backup and for some reason also thinks
> that rrdtool does not depend on graphics/png, while it does,
> unconditionally. Best thing to do when you see pkgdb mentioning
> "stale dependencies" is hit ctrl-c hard, fast and often. Then scroll
> up to see what it did wrong and try to figure out how to correct it's
> mess.
>
> What is at present the png version installed on your system and could
> you show the output of: grep 'DEPORIGIN: graphics/png'
> /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS

It reveals nothing but so far so good. Everything seems to work so I am
not going to worry about it. I just don't remember. I may have installed
then uninstalled png at some point but no idea if I did. I have actually
started to run a journal of everything being done to the server - it
should help in future!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com