FreeBSD Server Settings Consult
fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri May 2 23:20:44 UTC 2008
On Friday 02 May 2008 13:28:44 Free BSD wrote:
> We've been having some problems with our server and I was wondering if
> someone had any advice or suggestions for our current system settings.
Would help to know, at minimum:
- ammount of ram
- ammount of cpu's
- platform (uname -m )
- pciconf -lv|grep ^none
- dmesg output that complains about hardware
- what's different about your kernel with respect to GENERIC
What the problems are:
- from the sysctl variables, I'm guessing you want more network performance
- you mention core dumps, does the kernel crash?
- what's the primary purpose of the machine
- why are things like ipc tuned?
The above will only work with programs that use open(2) exclusively and not
fopen, because fopen is limited to SHRT_MAX, being 32767.
Problem with today's modular software: they start with the modules
and never get to the software part.
More information about the freebsd-questions