mailcap documentation?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Fri May 2 15:36:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 05:44:04PM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There's apparently an RFC-standard file called /etc/mailcap (as well as
> .mailcap), but I can't find any docs on this file.
>
> Would it be worthwhile to rework the RFC into a manpage (I am willing to
> do it), or should I bother the providers of ports that use it (such as,
> say, alpine (and possibly others)?  The problem is, they likely don't
> bundle it because other OSes have it already.
>
> It's a fairly standard file, but FreeBSD doesn't ship with an MUA that
> uses it (I *think*).  I know mail(1) does not.

I'd like a manpage for mailcap. Even though it doesn't exist in
FreeBSD quite a lot of ports use it as you say e.g mutt which comes
with a very short example mailcap.

I think there should be an example mailcap in base too. I can't see
what harm it would do.

You're probably best raising this on docs though.

Regards,

--

 Frank