Recovering mysql data - mysqlbinlog

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu May 1 20:55:48 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 22:24:33 Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Thursday, May 01, 2008 21:52:05 +0200 Mel
>
> <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 May 2008 21:13:41 John wrote:
> >> Thank you Mel and Paul for the suggestions.  From what I understand the
> >> general query log is more for debugging and the binary log is for point
> >> in time recovery and replication.  I'll be adding a my.cnf file (using
> >> the my-large.cnf as a skeleton) soon.  I'm glad the issue was caught
> >> earlier on and now I'm the wiser thanks to you guys.  I wonder why the
> >> default is no. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't find the binary
> >> logging beneficial.
> >
> > I can think of a reason for FreeBSD. The binary logs are never deleted
> > and upon every server restart a new one is created. If you're like me,
> > developing on a laptop with a webenvironment including 'Mysql server',
> > shutting down your laptop daily, you quickly find yourself having full
> > /var partition.
>
> That can be alleviated by adding the logs to newsyslog.conf and gzipping
> and rotating them regularly.
> If you don't restart mysql much, something like this would work:
>
> /var/db/mysql/[hostname]-bin.*    mysql:mysql  660  7     *  $W6D0     JBG
> /var/db/mysql/[FQHN].pid
>
> If you're restarting it daily, something like this should work:
>
> /var/db/mysql/[hostname]-bin.*    mysql:mysql 660 25     * $D0  JBG
> /var/db/mysql/[FQHN].pid
>
> Adjust the counts and the rotation schedule to your liking and, of course,
> use your own hostname and fully qualified hostname.

Yes, in this particular case it can, not changing hostnames is a plus then (as
in, getting hostname from your dhcp server) ;)
Actually, I think you can use a fixed name, but it's been a while since I
looked at the bin-log related variables.

However if you're using the bin-log, to recover accidental deletes or
replications, then you need to use the mysql provided SQL commands for it.
It's scriptable (periodic/crontab), but not for use in newsyslog.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.