7.0-RELEASE + newer kernel

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu May 1 11:34:50 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 13:17:03 Anselm Strauss wrote:

> The reasons why I hesitate to upgrade to 7.0-STABLE are:
>
> - freebsd-update won't work anymore. How do I then get informed about
> security updates?

Using your favorite RSS reader and subscribe to:
http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories.rdf

> - Can't install distributions with sysinstall anymore. Do I just
> compile everything from source?

Yes (to distributions, no to ports), but you have to upgrade by source
to -STABLE to begin with, unless you want to go the hard way and bake a new
CD/DVD.

> - How do I actually update from release to stable? I have to compile
> everything myself from the sources, right? As well as for any update?

The handbook has an entire section for this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.