[6.3] How are those daemons started?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Mon Mar 31 14:00:43 PDT 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 22:27:55 Gilles wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:06:20 -0500, Erik Osterholm
>
> <freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org> wrote:
> >Also note /etc/defaults/rc.conf which is /why/ these services
> >are on by default.  Entries in /etc/rc.conf override entries in
> >/etc/defaults/rc.conf, so you should never change
> >/etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>
> Thanks guys. After reading /etc/defaults/rc.conf, I understood that
> the reason there's sendmail listening on TCP25 is so that local
> daemons can send e-mail to the admin.

Somewhat. Most daemons can do fine without the socket listener and
invoke /usr/sbin/sendmail by default. Only ones that can't get
to /usr/sbin/sendmail (i.e.: chrooted daemons), but in my experience they
don't know how to talk SMTP either.
I guess it's legacy that MTA's start their SMTP listener by default.
You can set sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf to disable the listener. If
you set it to "NONE" sendmail will be totally off and all mail from daemons
invoking /usr/sbin/sendmail will end up in /var/spool/mqueue without being
processed further.

If you choose to go with the "NO" option, be sure to read and
update /etc/aliases. The difference between mail stacking up
in /var/spool/mqueue or /var/mail is only the packaging.

Informative reading: newaliases(8), crontab(5) and periodic(8).
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.