libc.so.6 not found

Niels Kobschaetzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:55:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
>  >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  >>  >>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
>  >>  >>  >> Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>  >>  >>  >>  > Hi!
>  >>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  >>  > I have here severe problems with installing stuff. I tried to
>  >>  >>  >>  > recompile xemacs 21.4 and got a:
>  >>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required by
>  >>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
>  >>  >>  >>  > I searched google and it seems that this is from FreeBSD 6 while I am
>  >>  >>  >>  > running 7 and I have only libc.so.7 on my system.
>  >>  >>  >>  > I wondered, tried to compile xemacs 21.5 from the sources and ran into
>  >>  >>  >>  > some other trouble. I figured that I'll do a a cvsup with FreeBSD
>  >>  >>  >>  > 7.0-stable and do a portupgrade -ra to do an upgrade for all packages;
>  >>  >>  >>  > hoping that the trouble wents away and I get some kind of xemacs with
>  >>  >>  >>  > mule-support installed. But the portupgrade ran into some problems
>  >>  >>  >>  > because of a stale dependency (ORBit2-2.14.10 -> libIDL-0.8.9_1
>  >>  >>  >>  > (devel/libIDL).
>  >>  >>  >>  > I want to install now this stale dependency and get the same error:
>  >>  >>  >>  > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required by
>  >>  >>  >>  > "install-info"
>  >>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  >>  > Anyone who can help here?
>  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  >>  I guess you missed part of the upgrade steps when you updated to 7.0.
>  >>  >>  >>  The step you missed involved a portupgrade -fa (or -faP) to refresh all
>  >>  >>  >>  of your ports with 7.0 versions to avoid precisely this problem.  You
>  >>  >>  >>  should do that now to repair your system.
>  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >>  > I never upgraded - I did a direct install of 7.0 from downloaded isos.
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  That doesn't explain why you have lots of installed 6.x packages.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Well, I do not have any idea neither -- I never touched anything
>  >>  > mentioning FreeBSD 6.x
>  >>
>  >>  The FreeBSD 7.0 isos only contain 7.0 packages, so it makes no sense
>  >>  that they installed 6.x packages for you :-)
>  >
>  > I guessed so. I installed ports via packages, did a cvsup a few days
>  > ago with Release I think and since then I'm compiling.
>
>  OK, so you in fact did not just do a direct install from the iso and
>  nothing else :)  One of those other steps must have gone wrong, e.g. you
>  installed packages from the wrong package set.

Seems so, but I do not know when because I never touched anything else
than something with a 7 in it. And xemacs compiled originally just as
an example.
But right now portupgrade -fa is working - I hope that solves the
problems I'm having.
Any way how to find out if xemacs 21.5 is in any of the ports? Because
the unicode-support in 21.4 sucks I heard from one of the core
developers…
And if it's only in current - is there any way to just install that
one package from current or do I have to switch completely?

Niels