pkg_add goofiness in 7.0

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Mar 30 15:24:40 PDT 2008

> > [trying to install linuxdoc-1.1_1.tbz] it gave me some
> > sort of error about an unbalanced add operation.  (I didn't try
> > to copy down all the details, figuring instead to retry with a
> > script(1) active so as to capture them.)  Upon that retry, it now
> > tells me that the package is already installed, even though the
> > prior attempt failed.
> > # ls -l linuxdoc*
> > -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  9156 Feb 24 08:18 linuxdoc-1.1_1.tbz
> > # pkg_add -Kv linuxdoc*
> > Requested space: 36624 bytes, free space: 774981632 bytes in /var/tmp/instmp.3DBbHN
> > pkg_add: package 'linuxdoc-1.1_1' or its older version already installed
> > pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
>
> No idea, you'll have to recreate the failure and show us.

Which failure are you referring to?  The original one with the
unbalanced add message, or the new one where it claims the package is
already installed even though the previous installation reportedly
failed?

I can recreate the second one any number of times, but absent some
specific suggestion it's not going to produce any more output than
shown above.  (I'm already specifying -v.)  Short of wiping the
drive and starting completely over, I have no idea how to go about
reproducing the original failure without first fixing the newer one.