problems with i386 jail on amd64 install 7.0 Release

Mark Moellering mark at msen.com
Thu Mar 27 19:41:22 PDT 2008

I have been trying to install an i386 jail on an amd64 install.  I added
Target=i386 to the command line in the make buildworld and installworld
commands.  I keep getting the following (or similar) error

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libedit.so.6" not found, required by "sh"

the $jail/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 file is the 32-bit version, however,
$jail/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is a link to the 64-bit version in /libexec of
the install.

I haven't done any cross-compiling before and I have not found much in the way
of documentation.

Any and all help is appreciated

Sincerely

Mark Moellering