from 6.3 to 7.0, will this work?

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 16:00:34 PDT 2008

--- Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:13:07PM -0700, mdh wrote:
> >
> > If you are running AMD64, then no it would not run
> on
> > an Intel core2 duo based system.  Maybe consider
> an
>
> Yes it would. The Core 2 duo chips support the amd64
> instruction set.

Oh, I'm quite surprised then and had no idea.  I'm
sorry for giving wrong information.

> Do make sure that you have the GENERIC kernel kernel
> installed, so you
> won't run into missing drivers etc.

Well, you can always trial-and-error it with kldload
after the fact too usually, since the most basic
drivers are very likely still a part of his kernel
(ata and friends, pci bus, etc)

> But before you buy anything, look over the
> motherboard's specs to see if
> all the components are supported.
>
> > Athlon64 X2?  You could also just backup your
> data,
>
> Making a backup is always a good idea. :-)

For sure.  300-500 gig USB hard drives are inexpensive
enough nowadays that there's no excuse not to, and
fast enough that they can save you a lot of time.  I
used one when upgrading from 6.2 to 7 and find myself
leaving some not-often-used stuff like old movies and
whatnot on it, freeing up more hard drive space
anyway.

- mdh