Distcc + cross compiling

James Harrison jamesh at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 25 07:03:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 07:17 +0100, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a FreeBSD x86 server, running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE, I'd like to
> create a new jail with distcc and gcc to help my laptop compiling
> gentoo x86 stuff, I'm using GCC 4.2.3 on my laptop...
>
> is it possible to use FreeBSD for compiling gentoo's stuff?? I heard
> of cross-compiling but I have never tried it... if so, any guide
> please ??
>
> Thanks :)

Cross compiling refers to the practice of compiling on one hardware
architecture for another hardware architecture, typically going from x86
to ARM I'd imagine.

In this case, FreeBSD and gentoo put libraries in different places, call
libraries by different names, and use an entirely different system of
makefiles for packages. As such, I imagine that either you'd be better
off making a virtual machine with gentoo installed in it on your FreeBSD
box and compiling from there, or it's possible you could compile static
binaries and use those.

I'm not an expert on jails by any means, but my understanding is that
the only OS you can use within a jail is FreeBSD, as all jailees share a
common kernel.

Best

James