X.org 7.3 sure is a mess...

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Mar 24 22:41:14 PDT 2008

     Sorry about the delay in my response.  I got tied up in lots of unrelated
matters for several days.
     On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:55:43 +0100 Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de>
wrote:
>Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      Now that I've upgraded to X.org 7.3, I'm wishing that I hadn't done it.
>>      I'm still discovering more and more broken stuff in 7.3 each day.  It's
>> only partially usable. ...
>
>Did you check the integrity of your libraries? Are you maybe using portupgrade
>that keeps copies of old libraries in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg ? Maybe some
>things are still linked against these, this can lead to a load of trouble.
>
>You can install sysutils/bsdadminscripts and run pkg_libchk to check the
>integrity of your system.

     Thank you for that suggestion.  I tried running it, and it did produce
some messages like

diablo-jre-1.5.0.07.01_3: /usr/local/diablo-jre1.5.0/lib/i386/libdcpr.so misses libjvm.so

However, xscreensaver{,-demo} did not appear in the output, nor did firefox.
The only package with a name beginning "xorg-" that appeared got this message:

xorg-printserver-6.9.0_2: /usr/X11R6/bin/Xprt misses libXdmcp.so.0

I'm not sure what to do about these or the others that were listed, but in any
case, the bsdadminscripts package of scripts appears to deal only with packages
and not with ports installed as ports rather than packages.  Because the X.org
upgrade process builds essentially all of the X.org core software from ports,
the scripts have limited applicability to the current situation.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG