X.org 7.3 sure is a mess...

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Mar 24 18:37:15 PDT 2008

     On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:09:54 +0100 Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org>
wrote:
>Mark Ovens wrote:
>>
>> The other thing I've noticed is, on my box at least, that the problem
>> always starts when I move the mouse (not every time of course) so could
>> it be Xorg 7.3 not playing nicely with the mouse driver - or the USB
>> driver since my mouse is a USB one? Which may explain why some people
>> see the problem and others don't?
>
>My mouse is on USB, still no problems.

     My trackball is a USB 2.0 device, but the touchpad and pencil eraser
thingy are built into the machine.

>> This is really becoming a big PITA.
>>

>So I wonder how we can help the port maintainer to fix the issue. Maybe
>it's an idea to collect some data on installed ports (including
>versions), used hardware and whether or not one has problems?

     Well, here's my info for starters then.
	Computer:  Dell Inspiron XPS
		CPU:  3.4 GHz P4 w/HTT enabled
		RAM:  1 GB
		Graphics card:  ATI Radeon JN R420 Mobility M18 (*)
		Built-in pointing devices:  Synaptics Touchpad, GlidePoint
			eraserhead thingy
	External pointing device:  Logitech USB Trackball (**)

(*)  When X is started, the following messages appear in /var/log/message:
	info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
	info: [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
	info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

However, near the end of /var/log/Xorg.0.log this is apparently reconsidered:
	(II) RADEON(0): [DRI] installation complete
	(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Added 32 65536 byte vertex/indirect buffers
	(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Mapped 32 vertex/indirect buffers
	(II) RADEON(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 16
	(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Initialized kernel GART heap manager, 5111808
	(WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
	(WW) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION  was: 0xefffe000 is: 0xefffe000
	(WW) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0xf07ff000
	(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
	(II) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION   : 0xefffe000 0xefffe000
	(II) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION  : 0xf07ff000
	(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
	(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and newer.
	(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
	(II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
	        Screen to screen bit blits
	        Solid filled rectangles
	        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
	        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
	        Solid Lines
	        Scanline Image Writes
        	Offscreen Pixmaps
        	Setting up tile and stipple cache:
	                32 128x128 slots
	                32 256x256 slots
	                16 512x512 slots
	(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

...and a bit later...
	(II) RADEON(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
	(--) RandR disabled

...and several "Initializing " lines later...
	(II) Loading sub module "GLcore"
	(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
	(II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libGLcore.so
	(II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
	(II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0

(**) The driver identifies the trackball as having 5 buttons, though in fact,
it only has 4.  This has been the case as long as I've been running FreeBSD
(i.e., since 5.2.1) and is not new to 6.3.

>The only problem I'm having since 7.3 btw (I forgot about that, but just
>remembered) is everytime I start nethack-qt (either local or remote) X
>restarts, kicking me out of my session.

     Does it restart by itself?  Or simply crash on a signal 11?

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG