cpu

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:45:40 PDT 2008

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 05:09:51PM -0700, Nerius Landys wrote:
>
>> I have a computer with this processor: Intel Xeon Dual-Core 3060 Conroe (
>> 2.4GHz, 4MB, 1066MHz FSB).
>> I'm running i386.  Is this right?  I had no idea about this AMD64 business.
>> I'm confused as to why you run an AMD OS on an Intel CPU.
>>

> For similar reasons as why you can run an "Intel OS" (i386) on an AMD CPU.
>
> AMD64 (aka x86-64) refers to AMD's 64-bit extension to the x86 architecture.
> Most (all?) of Intel's recent x86 CPUs also implement this extension.

When I first started exploring the issue with my "new" (about 6 months
old now) machine (e6850 3GHz dual core intel w/ 4 GB RAM) the rule of
thumb I learned was if you have <2GB of RAM i386 if more then AMD64.
Sure you can use PAE on i386 but it is really a workaround.   Now there
are about 10% of the ports out there that will not run on AMD64 with the
most important "everyday" one being the nvidia driver for xorg (note
though contrary to the man page nv does support the max resolution of
your card/monitor [well almost I ca get 1400x1050 but not 1600x1050 on
my 8400GS and 21" wide screen]).