ports fetch timeout

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Mar 24 14:03:27 PDT 2008

"Sys Admin" <sys at sellerbay.org> writes:

> I've been trying to install a bunch of packages on a freshly built
> 7.0-REL machine.  The ports "make install" command has been
> consistently failing to download files from ftp servers on Internet.
> I can however ftp to the servers and "get" the files manually into
> /usr/ports/distfiles directory, and then the port installation is able
> to continue just fine.
>
> I have no firewall on my network and as seen above, am able to FTP
> files down using the command-line "ftp" client.
>
> Is there any "fetch" related setting that's preventing the downloads?
> Or are there any environment variables to be configured for this to
> work?  Any config for the ports sub-system?

Fetch can be affected by a number of environment variables.  See the
manuals [fetch(1) and fetch(3)] for more information on that.

You may find it informative to use fetch from the command line,
instead of ftp.  If the same problems occur in interactive mode, you
will probably find it much easier to determine why.