List replies

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Mar 23 16:12:57 PDT 2008

> There is a touching concern for newbies in all this, which is out
> of step with the somewhat edgy aspect of FreeBSD that most of you
> seem to embrace in other connections.  And the bottom line is that
> most newbies end up elsewhere.  If making FreeBSD more popular is
> a priority, there is long list of issues that are more vital than
> this detail that we are discussing in this thread.

Given that the project is run almost entirely by volunteers,
I suppose some disconnects are inevitable.  One example:  it's
considered very important for questions@ to be newbie-friendly,
to the point of accepting posts from non-subscribers, but it's
*not* considered important to tune up sysinstall to prevent
botches like installing a system that can't be booted because
it has no kernel.