List replies

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sun Mar 23 07:47:46 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:54:00PM +0100, Tore Lund wrote:
> Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> > [snip]
> > As regards copying the original recipients, this list specifically requests
> > it: check the regular posting titled ``how to get best results from
> > freebsd-questions'', particularly para VII.6.
>
> I think you mean para VI.6.  The gist of that paragraph is a wish to
> avoid taking "a message which is of general interest off the list",
> hence the advice to cc the list.  There is no argument there about why
> the sender should receive the mail.  Indeed, such a practice is simply
> counter-productive to the intention expressed, since copying the sender
> increases the likelihood that a message (or even an ensuing discussion)
> of general interest is taken off the list.
>
> I request that this misunderstood piece of "etiquette" is revised.  If
> someone has the brains to find this list as well as the brains to use
> FreeBSD at all, they also have the brains to come back here to look for
> answers.  Copying the sender makes no sense at all, as far as I can see.
> Whether or not headers should be modified is a separate matter.

I'm happy the way it is. The current setup allows me to seperate replies
to my own messages from the entaire list. I like having the option of
juist following the discussions I took part in and juist view the list
every now and then.
--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howtos based on my personal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://alex.kruijff.org/FreeBSD/