mplayer-problems

Niels Kobschaetzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:58:41 PDT 2008

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:39:10 +0100
Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:06:22 +0100
> "Niels Kobschaetzki" <n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now the video plays but the output looks scrambled and mplayer tells
> > me that my machine is too slow. But even on a P3 1 GHz DVDs should
> > run…especially when DivX and co can be decoded w/out any problems.
> > Any ideas?
>
> If the DVD output is scrambled you most likely need
> multimedia/libdvdcss. However, don't forget that (from ports/LEGAL):
>
>   multimedia/libdvdcss   CSS code may violate the DMCA

The output isn't scrambled in the idea of "it can't be decoded" but in the idea of "I get error messages that my comp is too slow (what I do not believe)"

> The best way to play DVDs in mplayer is to access them through
>
>   mplayer dvdnav://
>
> This way you will have a full control over DVD menus.

I didn't know that one :)

> Lastly, you can
> try multimedia/ogle, which is a DVD-only player and probably handles DVD
> menus better than mplayer. Ogle also needs libdvdcss.

Every freeware-media player needs libdvdcss because it has otherwise no possibility to decode css-protected DVDs. Open Source-projects usually do not have the money and possibilities to get their project licensed with the DVD association.

Btw. ogle gives me only:
ERROR[ogle_nav]: faild to open/read the DVD
callbacks.on_opendvd_activate(): DVDSetDVDRoot: Root not set
Note[ogle_gui]: GetDiscID failed

Niels