ifconfig gif0 and rc.conf [was: Re: IP packet with options]

Malcolm Clarke malcolm.clarke at brunel.ac.uk
Sat Mar 22 10:17:56 PDT 2008

Dear Bruce

Thank you for a prompt response.

The command you give will set the two ends of the GIF connection and we
are using it, but it is not the command that sets the physical ends of
the tunnel.

We would expect something of the form

gifconfig_gif0="fec0::1 fec0::2"

but there appears to be no ipv6 form

Regards

Malcolm

Bruce Cran wrote:

> Malcolm Clarke wrote:
>
>> We are trying to configure an IPv6 tunnel for IPSec, ie IPv6 in IPv6.
>>
>> The command line would be
>>
>> ifconfig gif0 inet6 tunnel src-addr dst_addr (IPv6 addresses)
>>
>> There appears to be no equivalent line for rc.conf.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Malcolm
>

> To configure an if_gif interface for IPv6 use:
>
> ipv6_ifconfig_gif0="src-addr dst_addr"
>
> --
> Bruce

Dr Malcolm Clarke
Senior Lecturer in Data Communication Systems and Telemedicine
Department of Information Systems and Computing
Brunel University
Uxbridge
Middlesex
UB8 3PH