Various X errors (difficult to see)

Luca Presotto Luca.Presotto at cern.ch
Fri Mar 21 09:14:19 PDT 2008

>You should run startx and redirect the output to a file and check the
>errors and then try to fix them.  To do this try:

>startx >/tmp/somexerrorlogfile 2>&1

Done that!
Here-s the first error(s):

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
kbuildsycoca running...
DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
Reusing existing ksycoca

Is it something wrong in /etc/hosts??

Then I get lots of line(130!) like :

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/zip'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-7z'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/themus-theme-applier.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gnome-theme-installed'

Then finally:

DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
Launched ok, pid = 1283
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1222, errno = 0
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
       If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:

       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServerV2
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServer
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
       /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_AudioManager

Then, every time I launch a program that open a new window I get:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  19
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x600006