FreeBSD 7.0, Linuxulator and LDAP

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Mar 20 13:10:41 PDT 2008

Hi!

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:03:21 +0000 O. Hartmann wrote:

> we use a LDAP backed up environment on our FreeBSD boxes (mostly 7.0
> machines).
> With several tools running under Linux/Linuxulator in FreeBSD ist is
> not possible to work, like acroread or linux-opera and other software
> (like IDL, Mathematica). When the software starts up, it complains
> about unknown user IDs (acroread, Gtk-toolset).

Hm. I never used FreeBSD with LDAP backed up environment.

Some linux apps display warnings about unknown IDs (something like
glib about UID 0), but it never prevented the app from functioning.

> I guess I need a complete PAM/NSS/LDAP setup in Linux
> (/compat/linux/etc), but I have no glue how to get the appropriate
> libraries (pam_ldap.so, nss_ldap.so etc.).

I don't think so. The main idea for linuxulator is to use as much as
possible. We do use FreeBSD native configure and other files and
databases. E.g. we _remove_ passwd and other files (as well as some
directories) from linux distribution before installing.

> Can anybody help?

Well, I can give you only some theory here. Sorry. :-(

1. Use FreeBSD database (passwd and friends) before LDAP.
2. Add needed IDs to LDAP database.

WBR
--
bsam