Replacing Windows with FreeBSD (was: my brother is making me learn FreeBSD...)

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Mar 20 09:46:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 06:16:35PM +0800, Gelsema, P (Patrick) wrote:

> If I had the time I would have tried building an network with Active
> Directory running on a Freebsd server. Probably would have failed due to
> some microsoft specific thing. Point is still that all the features are
> available on Freebsd.

Samba 4 will provide the last pieces of the puzzle to be able to
completely replace MS Windows servers in AD domains, apparently.  Of
course, I can't swear to it until it has been officially released, but
that's the plan.  Until then, FreeBSD can only *mostly* replace MS
Windows server functionality in an AD domain.

On the other hand, FreeBSD can not only provide equivalent functionality
in a Unix network (any one of several types), but can do a whole lot
more, as long as you don't specifically require an AD domain.

Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him
you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions
your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."