Best way to achive email hosting for several domains

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 13:57:47 UTC 2008

--- Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:29:29 +0100
> Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch> wrote:
>
> > Now, everything works fine, but I'm a bit
> concerned with the
> > webmail login.. I'd like info at adomain.com to login
> with a
> > username equal to the email, but as the
> authentication in
> > horde is handled by imp, I'm not sure how to
> proceed with that..
>
> Hi Roberto,
> I try to avoid that beast of horde...but most
> webmail products that I've seen
> (including Horde, if memory doesn't fail me), simply
> make an imap connection to
> your server and pass on whatever auth you give to
> it.... IOW, whatever works
> for imap works with webmail.
>
> anyway, it wouldn't be too hard to test, right?

This is indeed how squirrelmail works, and I've found
it to be incredibly easy to roll squirrelmail out.
Since people will be sending authentication
credentials, you may want to set it up on an
SSL-enabled web host so that they are not sent in the
clear.  Generally, I use dovecot which allows me to
listen on all IPs for imap/ssl connections, and
localhost only for imap non-ssl (for squirrelmail's
benefit), then have squirrelmail installed under an
ssl vhost, so that users can't send their credentials
over the internet in the clear.

Take care, mdh