How to enable Linujx binary compatibility using sysinstall

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Tue Mar 18 15:15:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:17:00 +0000
Stephen Allen <p0036343 at brookes.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After installing FreeBSD 7.0, I realised I'd forgotten to choose
> Linux binary compatibility during the install.  I tried installing
> from ports, but it's gone and installed a load of other unwanted
> packages aswell now (perl/popt/rpm etc...).
>
> So, a few questions really...
>
> 1.
> Why does the ports install require all these other packages, when
> none of these are installed if you remember to select the "Enable
> Linux binary compatibility" option during install?

They are dependencies of the particular application, or linux-base.
"Linux binary compatibility" lets you run a statically-linked
linux binary. Anything else requires a Linux environment, and whatever
libraries etc the application needs.

> 2.
> If I wanted to install from sysinstall (like during an installation),
> what do I do to enable Linux binary compatibility, without
> reinstalling?

I think it's just a matter of adding linux_enable="YES" to rc.conf.

I also have linux_load="YES" in loader.conf, but I don't expect it's
necessary, as the former setting should load the kernel module.

> 3.
> There are 6 Linux binary compatibility packages available, which is
> the best one to use... fc4-10?

The default will be a dependency of any linux package that needs it.