FW: VMWare Tools for FreeBSD

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Mar 18 20:58:03 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, March 18, 2008 15:24:53 -0400 Alexander Sack <pisymbol at gmail.com>
wrote:

> bus_setup_intr() kernel API seems to have either changed or handled
> differently in 7.0.  I believe you can add a NULL after the flags
> (INTR_MPSAFE) which tells BSD to use the standard interrupt handler
> instead of a top-level handler.
>
> _ac_enaddr is because arpcom as defined in net/if_arp.h no longer
> exists.  Typically the protocol bits are stuffed in if_l2com (layer
> 2).
>
> I made the macro in net_compat.h
>
># define VXN_SC2ENADDR(softc)        (IF_LLADDR(VXN_SC2IFP(softc))
>
> and then removed the "&" from both references in if_vxn.c as this
> macro already returns a pointer to char.
>
> That got me past this problem.  Btw, this isn't an official port since
> I didn't really rectify the net_compat.h stuff (I suppose you could
> make the 600000 to 700055, etc.).
>
> I'm still getting some further issues with vnodeops and vfsops with
> some modules (I believe vops_lcok should be vops_lock1) but I don't
> know about the other problem.

Well, you're way beyond my skill level now.  I'll be happy to create a port for
this, but someone with a much deeper knowledge of FreeBSD and C is going to
have to resolve the problems with the modules.

If someone is interested in doing that, I'll submit the patches to the
developers *and* add them to the port so that it can be committed.  (Other than
the kernel modules, the software builds fine from what I can tell.)

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst