pptpd server on a Samba PDC

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at teledomenet.gr
Tue Mar 18 14:31:32 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 14:28:22 Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> [...]
> Winbind, join the domain and access there home shares.
> I have tried to follow the instructions by Andrew Bartlett (
> http://samba.org/ftp/unpacked/lorikeet/pppd/final-report.pdf) - without
> success.
>
> My main configuration file /usr/local/etc/httpd.conf looks like
> option /etc/ppp/options.pptp
> localip 192.168.1.4
> remoteip 192.168.1.150-155
> pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
> # TAG: bcrelay <if>
> bcrelay eth0
>
> And the /etc/ppp/options.pptp:
> lock
> noauth
> nobsdcomp
> lcp-echo-failure 10
> lcp-echo-interval 10
>
> I have another file /etc/ppp/options:
> lock
> noauth
> nobsdcomp
> lcp-echo-failure 10
> lcp-echo-interval 10
> mflserver3# less /etc/ppp/options
> name mflserver3
> noipdefault
> noauth
> lock
> local
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4
> lcp-max-configure 60
> lcp-restart 2
> idle 600
> noipx
> file /etc/ppp/filters
> proxyarp
> ms-dns 192.168.1.4
> ms-wins 192.168.1.4
> refuse-chap
> refuse-mschap
>
> Finally, I have both pap-secrets and chap-secrets.
>
> With the existence of a /etc/ppp/ppp.conf looking like:
> pptp:
>     set timeout 0
>     set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp command
>     set dial
>     set login
>     enable mssfixup
>     set ifaddr 192.168.1.4 192.168.150-192.168.1.155 255.255.255.0
>     set server /tmp/loop "" 0177
>     disable pap
>     # Authenticate against /etc/passwd
>     enable passwdauth
>     disable ipv6cp
>     enable proxy
>     accept dns
>     enable MSChapV2
>     enable mppe
>     disable deflate pred1
>     deny deflate pred1
>     set dns 195.184.96.2
>     set device !/etc/ppp/secure
>
> I got the following in my log:
> ppp[67205]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
> connection: Configuration label not found
>
> When I removed ppp.conf, I got:
>  ppp[67267]: Warning: Label /etc/ppp/options.pptp rejected -direct
> connection: /etc/ppp/ppp.conf : File not found
>
> I am a bit confused. It seems that the reference to the options file
> makes something go wrong. And it seems that pptpd needs the ppp

Yes, this configuration guide you've read is for Linux, thus it will
use pppd by Paul Mackeras. pppd is in the base system(/usr/sbin/pppd),
but it's an older version than the Linux one, since most people on FreeBSD
use user-ppp(/usr/sbin/ppp). So, bad news first:
pppd probably won't work(at least won't work by copying
a configuration file you've found on the internet). I have many
doubts that FreeBSD's pppd can be used with pptp.

The good news are, that poptop is supported(it's in the ports),
you just have to use user-ppp(which you seem to already use, since
the name of the process above is ppp). Isn't the pptp entry on
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf, installed from the port???
Did you search the package for configuration samples?

> Does anyone have a working example of poptop-based vpn server

The pptp server/client of preference for a FreeBSD system, is in my humble
opinion net/mpd. I suggest you to use that. There many guides on "pptp
and mpd" lying around on the net.

HTH, Nikos