VMWare Tools for FreeBSD

Jeff Dickens jeff at seamanpaper.com
Mon Mar 17 23:33:18 UTC 2008

I just made a copy of /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/freebsd.iso from VMware
Server v1.0.4 under a different name, and moved it to the ESX server.

Then I mounted that ISO as a virtual cdrom on the freebsd guest,
untarred the tools and ran the install script.  It seems to work fine.

A couple of provisos: I don't use X windows on any of my FreeBSD
systems, and the vmxnet accelerated virtual network adapter does not
work properly.  I use the e1000 adapter instead.  It wouldn't be a bad
idea to comment out the 'vmxnet_load="YES"' line from /boot/loader.conf,
but it doesn't seem to cause problems just being loaded.

Furthermore, I don't use any of the virtualcenter features like vmotion,
etc.  I use freebsd guests for small-footprint servers, for example a
dhcp and dnscache server with 512MB disk and 32MB ram.