interrupt storms

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:09:58 UTC 2008

Hi Daniel,

On 17/03/2008, Daniel Gerzo <danger at freebsd.org> wrote:
[...]
>  interrupt                          total       rate
>  irq1: atkbd0                           5          0
>  irq9: acpi0                            1          0
>  irq16: ohci0                           1          0
>  irq17: ohci1 ohci3                     1          0
>  irq18: ohci2 ohci4                     1          0
>  irq20: em0                      22617825       1714
>  irq22: em1 atapci0             699549409      53036
>  cpu0: timer                     26380374       2000
>  cpu1: timer                     26380325       2000
>  Total                          774927942      58751
>
>   Any idea, why em1 and atapci0 share the same irq? I don't think this
>   is correct. Is there some way how to work this around?

You could try to insert the NIC into another slot and see if the
problem persists. Some MoBos are designed in a way that some onboard
HW shares its IRQ with a PCI slot.
Additionally your BIOS might offer you a way to specify an interrupt
for the slot in question. I don't know if FreeBSD honours this setting
during boot, though.

HTH
Christian