Does softupdate help squid ?

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Mon Mar 17 15:45:22 UTC 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 4:51 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm setting up a squid cache (3.0.2) machine FreeBSD 7.0 based and I
> wonder
> if softupdates could help (make it faster ) or not the cache
> partition ?

I can't imagine that it would hurt. Last I looked though squid may not
be the best tool for this job. Poul Henning-Kamp has written an http
accelerator called varnish.

I'll start by saying that implementing varnish is on list of things to
do so my experience is purely anecdotal. No that I've said that, the
feature that grabbed my attention was the fact that it's written to
modern unix. If I understand what I read correctly this means that
varnish eschews squids separation of the cache into  a fast cache in
memory and a slow cache on disk. Instead varnish uses a big memory
mapped file allowing the operating system to manage which cache
objects are in memory and which ones are on disk. On FreeBSD at least
that would seem to me to be a bigger performance win than softupdates.

-- Chris