USB printer

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Mar 17 07:59:17 UTC 2008

However, that "definitely established part" of CUPS duplicates
lpr/lpd functionality, so it's a big waste of time to bother with
installing it under FreeBSD and ripping out the existing lpr/lpd
if all your going to do is use the same /etc/printcap config file
and same filters that you would use under lpr/lpd.

The real usefulness of CUPS is under a GUI, particularly married
with a GUI configuration interface.  For example you didn't
install your printers under MacOS X by hand-editing the CUPS
configuration files under MacOS X, you used the GUI configurator
in System Properties, which interfaces with CUPS.  That's why
Apple had to license CUPS after all, because they modified it
under MacOS X to allow the Aqua GUI to interface to it, and they
didn't want to release the mods they made to it into the wild.

In fact, if you compile ghostscript and compile the foomatic
software under MacOS X, you can download, compile and using
the Aqua GUI configurator interface to CUPS, install
a gigantic number of printer drivers under MacOS X.

In the FreeBSD world the usual command-line junkies do the Right
Thing and go buy a Postscript printer.  If you have one, all
of the need for these rediculous "winprinter" filters goes
away and then the only thing that CUPS really adds is the
ability to speak IPP - and I've yet to come across a hardware
printer server that spoke IPP that -didn't- speak LPD also.

Ted