FW: VMWare Tools for FreeBSD

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Mar 17 00:48:25 UTC 2008

--On March 17, 2008 10:03:54 AM +1100 Terry Sposato <terry at sucked-in.com>
wrote:

> OK, maybe I was not clear enough so I will try again.
> I want to run FreeBSD as a VM Guest on a VMWare ESX Server. Currently
> there is no problem with it and it works fine. The problems arise when
> you want to take advantage of the HA ability of ESX Server, as it only
> supports Virtual Machines with the VM Tools running.
>
> So what I am asking is if someone has ever though about porting the
> VMWare Tools to run in a FreeBSD Virtual Machine image.

I downloaded the open-vm-tools from Sourceforge and tried to compile and
make them.  The compile went fine, but the make failed.  I'm not a
programmer, so I struggle trying to resolve such problems.  I'd be happy
to make a port for it, but I would need help from someone with more
programming knowledge than I.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas