Network identity for sending mail.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Mar 16 22:34:34 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-17 08:36, Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay at internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:07 am, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> > I do not use sendmail myself, so I am not sure of all the details, but
> > go to /etc/mail/  and define SMART_HOST appropriately in the right .mc
> > file.
> > Read the Makefile there for information on how to rebuild things and which
> > files are used.
> >
> > Googling for 'freebsd sendmail smart_host' should also provide useful
> > information.
>
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:59 am, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Set SMART_HOST in `/etc/mail/your-master-config.mc' :)
> >
> > Then run:
> >
> > 	# cd /etc/mail
> > 	# make && make install
> > 	# make restart
> >

> Thanks guys,
> I'd heard of SMART_HOST but did not realise this would overcome
> my identity problem.
>
> Your attention is much appreciated.

Hi Malcolm.

You are welcome, of course :)

If you stick around with Sendmail, it may be interesting to search
through the archives.  There are a few posts which may be interesting
for other setup details of your outgoing email, like email address
rewriting (commonly called `masquerading' in Sendmail documentation).

A few pointers to get you started are:

http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.freebsd.questions/msg/a6aafc66482070c1
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/msg/83fdd8740321db86
http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.questions/msg/7cf951f12567f2fe
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/msg/562dc23fca32c37c
http://groups.google.com/group/list.freebsd.questions/msg/8dff805cd2bc76be

Then in the post at

http://groups.google.com/group/list.freebsd.questions/msg/c9fc1a5a75d9120a

you can find a bit of help about `mailertable', the Sendmail feature I
use to forward all my email to my default SMART_HOST and redirect
company-internal email to the internal mail server of my workplace.