Why not a DVD iso version too?

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 21:27:31 UTC 2008

On Mar 16, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Mel wrote:

> On Sunday ١٦ March ٢٠٠٨ ٢١:٠٣:٢٧ Incoming Mail List wrote:
>
>> I think I can answer this one.  Perhaps, not enough disk space?  See,
>> the "Where is packages-٦.٢-release" for more context.  You know, disk
>> space isn't infinite...uh-huh.
>
> Easy to bitch, ain't it?
> Make an iso-dvd then and provide the space and bandwidth.
>
> I hope they never release a DVD officially, cause it'll mean that ٨٠%
> of
> what's downloaded then will never ever be used, yet it does use up the
> bandwidth on every new release. Stick to windows if you believe that's
> proper use of resources.

Well, since the OP just wants a DVD version, and not specifically a
version that's too big to fit on a CD, why not just create a DVD iso
that contains just enough to install?

Personally, I wonder why there isn't a ISO image that'll install
FreeBSD somewhat in a Gentoo concept, format the disk(s), download the
source, csup and install from the source(good for someone wanting to
follow -STABLE instead of -RELEASE), install and csup the ports tree,
and good to go.

Anyway, odds are the OP wants to try out PCBSD instead of FreeBSD.  I
don't see much purpose in home use live cd's if you don't want a
desktop environment.