Network identity for sending mail.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Mar 16 08:51:29 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-16 18:17, Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay at internode.on.net> wrote:
> The send-pr appears to assume that mail can and will be sent
> directly through sendmail or equivalent rather than inderctly through
> an ISP mail service. I can certainly successfully send mail directly
> via sendmail but as I don't have a static IP address or a registered
> name the (bogus?) name used is not able to be validated. So when I send-pr
> I get a returned mail message which includes the following:

> <FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org>
>     (reason: 450 4.7.1 <mail.whatnot.on.net>: Helo command rejected: Host not found)
>
> It seems most destinations are not so pedantic and accept the (bogus) name.
>
> Now if I set up sendmail with some registered name in place of
> mail.whatnot.on.net then I believe the message will be accepted.

The domain "on.net" is a valid domain, registered already by:

: Internode Systems Pty Ltd
:    PO Box 284
:    Rundle Mall, South Australia 5000
:    AU
:
:    Domain Name: ON.NET

If you don't own the domain, then it's not surprising that the hostname
doesn't exist.

You still have a few options:

  (1) Use masquerading, to rewrite your outgoing email address to one
      that is valid.  My Sendmail installation rewrites `keramida' to
      `keramida at ceid.upatras.gr', which is a valid address.

  (2) Use your ISP's mail gateway.  It looks like you are trying to post
      *directly* to the mail servers of FreeBSD.org from an address
      which doesn't resolve correctly.  This is a common spammer trick,
      so you are blocked if you do that :/