SATA problems (Abit IP35-Pro)

Isaac Mushinsky itz at mushinsky.net
Sun Mar 16 05:07:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 13:57:11 Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
> I am setting up a new system with Abit IP35-Pro (ich9r), 2 WD SATA drives
> on the controller. There is also a SATA DVDRW to boot from.
> With the default SATA setup (SATA/IDE) the system cannot find any SATA
> drive. I was able to boot the install disk, attaching an old IDE CDROM, but
> still could not make it see the hard drive.
>
> If I set SATA controller to AHCI, the system boots (although with some ACPI
> errors), and I was able to install. However, fdisk thinks that the geometry
> is "incorrect", and insists on a different one (it says the drives have
> 476gb rather than 500gb).
>
> I can install with this AHCI setup, but have no idea what the implications
> are. Is there a known fix for SATA/IDE? Or is AHCI better?

Very well, but now I boot with ACPI errors like these:

ACPI Error (psparse-0626) Method parse/execution failed [\\_TZ_.THRM._TMP]
(Node 0xffffff000224ac60), AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE
ACPI Exception (dsutils-0766) AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE Missing or null operand
[20070320]
ACPI Exception (dsutils-0766) AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE While creating Arg 0
[20070320]

If I attempt to boot without ACPI, the machine hangs while trying to mount
root filesystem. Why does disabling ACPI cause disk access problems? What can
I do to fix this? Can I disable only thermal part of ACPI?