SATA problems (Abit IP35-Pro)

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 14 18:30:06 UTC 2008

Isaac Mushinsky wrote:

>If I set SATA controller to AHCI, the system boots (although with some ACPI
>errors), and I was able to install. However, fdisk thinks that the geometry
>is "incorrect", and insists on a different one

Sysinstall nearly always says this, and undoubtedly sysinstall is
nearly* always correct.  Ignore it and move on.

>(it says the drives have
>476gb rather than 500gb).

Manufacturers like to make their disks look bigger by using 1000 instead
of 1024 when scaling Kb to Gb so:

    476 Gb * 1024 * 1024   = 499122176K bytes

    500 "Gb" * 1000 * 1000 = 500000000K bytes

which is near as dammit the same.

--Alex

*In ten years of FreeBSD I have seen the warning many times, and seen
people asking about the warning many, many, many times.  What I never
remember seeing is any case where someone needed to do anything about
that warning.  That doesn't prove anything (my memory is of unknown
reliability), but you have my word that it's not *that* bad :-)