Superuser password lost

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Mar 12 15:46:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:27:36AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > > This is a PC-BSD-specific question.  There is no such thing as "the
> > > superuser" ... it's a colloquialism frequently used by folks to make
> > > things sound cooler (or for some other reason I don't understand)
> >
> > I don't understand this response.   Superuser is just another
> > name for the root user which is any user id with a UID of 0.
>
> No.  The term "superuser" is a made-up term for any way of gaining
> root privs.  In my experience it's confusing as there are two
> commonly used methods for doing this, the su command and sudo, and
> they require different passwords.

I have never seen the term used that way.

I have seen su and sudo referred to as ways of a non-root id gaining
superuser priviledge/root priviledge but not a superuser as someone who
is not root, but has a method of gaining root priviledge.

Anyway, the OP sounds mostly like root is what was needed.

////jerry