RAID

kalin m kalin at el.net
Tue Mar 11 23:30:32 UTC 2008

thanks....

i read the atacontrol man. there is a part in there that says:
 A quick and dirty way to create such a mirrored array (RAID1) on a new
system is
     to boot off the FreeBSD install CD, do a minimal scratch install, abort
     out of the post install questions, and at the command line issue
the com-
     mand:

           atacontrol create RAID1 ad4 ad6

     then immediately issue a reboot and boot from the installation CD
again,
     and during the installation, you will now see "ar0" listed as a disk to
     install on, and install on that instead of ad4, ad6, etc.

in my case the machine showed me the ar0 to install the system on it
without doing this 'quick and dirty way'.

and now i get:
# atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 status: READY
 subdisks:
   0 ad4  ONLINE
   1 ad6  ONLINE

that tells me that i actually do have RAID1 active. which means it's a
software one, correct?

also if you do not mind please elaborate on "MatrixRAID is one of those
not-really-raid controllers that onlyprovides RAID during the boot
process..."

thank you...