doesn't change to Daylight Saving Time

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Mar 10 15:40:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:28:13AM -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Derek Ragona writes:
>

> >  > >  Have you checked the ntpd log file for errors, and verified it is
> >  > >  running.  Often ntpd won't reset the time if the delta is too
> >  > >  large, and you have to stop ntpd and run ntpdate instead, then
> >  > >  start ntpd.
> >  >
> >  >         I genuflect in your direction, sir.  That did it.
> >
> >  Glad I could help.
>
> 	However, now I'm curious - isn't this going to be a recurring
> problem (admittedly only twice a year) for the non-trivial number of
> machines that do run ntpd for various reasons?

I suspect that it is only a problem for those whose machines are
a) Having the CMOS clock set to local time (instead of UTC)
and
b) Having their computers turned off when the switch to/from DST
   is being made - thus preventing adjkerntz(8) from adjusting
   the CMOS clock appropriately.

Running ntpd(8) will by itself not cause any problems - but in the
above scenario it will not adjust the time to be correct either -
the jump will be too large.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson