How did references to libc.so.7 get in my 6.3 ports?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 06:55:43 UTC 2008

E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:49:42 -0400
> Vinny <vinny-mail-01+f.questions20080309 at palaceofretention.ca> wrote:
>
>> E. J. Cerejo wrote:

>> [snip]
>>

>>> You updated the port that put libc.so.6 in your system, you need to
>>> find out which port it came from and then find out which which ports
>>> depend on it and rebuild them also and then the problem will be
>>> fixed.  I use /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdadminscripts which tells me
>>> exactly which ports need to be rebuilt.
>>
>> Hi E. J.,
>>
>> Is it true that a port put libc.so.6 in my system?
>> I thought it was part of the base system (i.e. the world as in
>> buildworld).
>>
>> I'm a bit (more) confused now.

libc.so.6 is part of the base system.

> Then you're running FreeBSD 6.x and you updated your ports tree after
> FreeBSD 7.0 release.  The latest ports tree no longer supports 6.x I
> believe. So you should upgrade to 7 release or stable.

Utter twaddle.  The ports tree certainly does still support 6.x.

To the OP: yes, your initial thought that libc.so.6 comes with
RELENG_6_X and libc.so.7 is part of anything RELENG_7_X -- that is
completely correct.

If you're running a 6.x machine, then nothing should be linking against
libc.so.7 -- that sort of forward compatibility is not possible.  (Unlike
the inverse case, where you can have applications linked against a 6.x
world running under 7.x).

I suspect that what has happened is that you've inadvertently installed
packages compiled for release 7.0 on a 6.3 system -- which as you've found,
does not work.  This is a problem that can *only* occur with pre-compiled
packages.  If you build the software out of ports directly on your 6.3
machines, it will automatically have the correct linkage to libc.so.6.

Note that you may need to rebuild applications further up the dependency
tree than just the particular one you pointed out: shlibs and loadable
modules can depend on other shlibs in as arbitrarily complex a fashion as
you can imagine.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3