tar( bzip2 parts of manpage )

Markus Klaschka mk at mkdev.eu
Sun Mar 9 23:10:28 UTC 2008

Hi,
I never used built-in bzip functionality of tar, but I like bzip2 more
than gzip, so I just searched and found following:
     -j      (c mode only) Compress the resulting archive with bzip2(1).  In
             extract or list modes, this option is ignored.  Note that,
unlike
             other tar implementations, this implementation recognizes bzip2
             compression automatically when reading archives.
and
     -y      (c mode only) Compress the resulting archive with bzip2(1).  In
             extract or list modes, this option is ignored.  Note that,
unlike
             other tar implementations, this implementation recognizes bzip2
             compression automatically when reading archives.

what's going on there?

I tested the -j option, works good. I created a file.tar.bz2 and like
the manpage describes, tar -cvf is enough to unpack the tarball,
Is that a FreeBSD feature, how is it on other platforms?
Is bzip2 used, or is that build in as a tar?

Cheers

-
Markus Klaschka
MKDev - Markus Klaschka Development