slow internet - 7.0 release

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Mar 7 22:35:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008 22:55:25 Mitja wrote:

> > > You will need to quantify "slow" to get much advice here.
> >
> > it's just like hearing my clients ;) that it's "slow" ;)
> > no matter how fast it would be.
> >
> > to make things more fun - there are some webpages that "measures" the
> > "speed of internet".
> >
> > None of them explains what "speed of internet" is.
>
> If I am lucky maybe 30 seconds to one minute. Now on www.cnn.com I am
> waiting still (about two minutes)...okay now is done: 2 minutes 27 second.
> I am lucky: www.freebsd.org ju8st one minute and ten seconds.
> I am sorry that I didn't wrote time before.
> Same provider and my wifes old laptop with windows works like a rocket :(.

These sites use statistics tracking and adserving via thirdparties that do not
have their nameserver (or loadbalancer) configured properly for IPV6.
Nothing you can do about it, other then complain to them to switch service, or
be very creative in your firewall. The reason that firefox is slightly
faster, is that it forces a lower timeout on IPV6 requests.

Not configured properly means: they don't answer them, making the resolver
wait until timed out.
Have several of these in one page all loading 1x1 pixel gifs and browser
detection scripts and it adds up.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.