Which jdk port should I use?

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 6 17:49:13 UTC 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 12:28:33 pm you wrote:
> its there any JDK for amd64 arch from sun ?
>
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:19 AM, Steven Friedrich <freebsd at insightbb.com>
>
> wrote:

> > > I assume you mean "native" in the sense of "compiled for FreeBSD 7
> > > instead of FreeBSD 6".  They are both native FreeBSD binaries :-)
> > >
> > > But yes, you should be using the self-compiled jdk on FreeBSD 7 for
> > > other reasons: it has better performance.  Once a 7.x build of diablo
> > > is released you can switch to that.
> > >
> > > Kris
> >
> > Ok, so I pkg_deinstall diablo-jdk and tried to install jdk15.
> > It errors out (I had previously had installed this long ago and didn't
> > have
> > any problems tracking it with csup/portupgrade).
> > WARNING: Your are not building SPONSORS workspace from
> >         the control build. This will result in a development-only
> >         build of the J2SE workspace, lacking the installation bundles
> >
> > WARNING: Your FreeBSD installation is not valid for building a
> >       the J2SDK. You must be using FreeBSD 4.1[01]|5.[345]|6.*.
> >       Your release is 7.0-RELEASE
> >
> > ERROR: BOOTDIR does not point to a valid Java 2 SDK
> >       Check that you have access to
> >           /usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/bin/java
> >       and/or check your value of ALT_BOOTDIR.
> >
> > Exiting because of the above error(s).
> >
> > gmake: *** [post-sanity] Error 1
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
> >
> > And why does it reference diablo?

Sorry Mohamad, I'm not the expert on java on freebsd.
I sent this to the list so you'll get an answer.

My question was "which port should I use" and so far, it appears the answer is
jdk15, but it appears it depends on diablo-jdk.

You might take a look at:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

But it appears that it only helps as long as your're using prior to FreeBSD 7.
I believe these guys are telling me that if I'm running FreeBSD 7 (and I am),
that I need to use jdk15 (but it appears that it installs/depends on
diablo-jdk.

Sorry for the second send, I didn't add questions email address...