VPN - Which way to go?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Mar 6 10:15:03 UTC 2008

Alphons "Fonz" van Werven wrote:

> Howdy people,
>
> I need to setup a VPN connection to the university's network. Now,
> there's a
> chapter in the handbook about "VPN over IPsec" and there seems to be this
> thing called OpenVPN in the ports collection. Which is the better way
> to go?

The handbook still seems only to describe how to do IPSEC over a gif
tunnel.  I've no idea what the point of that is, but AFAIK, it means you
can only use that method to connect two FreeBSD machines.

Assuming your university is using IPSEC, then here's a few links I found
useful is setting up IPSEC and racoon to connect, in this case, to a
Sonic Wall.

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg19089.html

http://www.lacave.net/~fred/racoon/config.html

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/ipsec/

You could also investigate http://m0n0.ch/wall/ if you want a dedicated
firewall that's IPSEC capable.  Never tried it myself, though, just
found links while investigating IPSEC.

--Alex