multiple CPUs and vmstat

Steven Friedrich freebsd at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 6 00:02:47 UTC 2008

I'm running 7.0 on i386.

I'd like to see multiple cpu stats in vmstat.
vmstat
 procs      memory      page                   disk   faults      cpu
 r b w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po    fr  sr ad0   in   sy   cs us sy id
 0 0 0  398000  77144  7298   1   1   0  5686  12   0  117 18938 1758 32 11 58

The formatting got whacked, sorry.

I looked at several man pages and couldn't find any other stat program that
showed multiple processors.

I have a system monitor running under SuperKaramba, but on a Hyperthreaded
system, it shows both processors with identical CPU percentages.  I had sent
a bug report to KDE, but the guy that picked it up couldn't understand my
point.  Which is, since a hyperthreaded CPU is actually two pipelines sharing
a common execution unit, the "best" it could be doing is complementary
precents, i.e., if one CPU is 60% utilized, then the other CPU couldn't be
any better than 40 % utilized.