faster booting

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Mar 5 23:47:28 UTC 2008

In the last episode (Mar 05), Daniel Feenberg said:
> As for the suggestion that we delay the clients, we plan to enable
> memory testing in the BIOS of the clients to delay the first request
> for dhcp services. Any delays placed later in the boot sequence won't
> help with the problem.

Another option could be to place this machine on a dedicated UPS of its
own with a larger battery to ensure that it stays up even after your
site UPS fails.  APC's web page has a page that can suggest a UPS based
on server type and uptime requirements.  If it's a small enough server,
you can get 24 hours out of a $1500 1KVA UPS.

http://www.apcc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com