make.conf CPUTYPE Xeon Conroe?

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:55:51 UTC 2008

 I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 on a server with an Intel Xeon Dual-Core 3060
Conroe (2.4GHz) CPU.
I'm wondering what I should set CPUTYPE to in my /etc/make.conf.
The file /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf has this information:

#       (Intel CPUs)    core2 core nocona pentium4m pentium4 prescott
#                       pentium3m pentium3 pentium-m pentium2
#                       pentiumpro pentium-mmx pentium i486 i386

I guess those are the possibilities.  Which one should I choose for my
processor?

Also, by accident, I had CPUTYPE=p4 in my make.conf when I compiled world,
kernel, and ports.  "p4" is a flag from older FreeBSD distributions I
think.  Will this ("this" meaning both that "p4" may be unrecognized and/or
it's not my processor type) cause any problems, or should I recompile
everything with the correct CPUTYPE flag?  Installing world is a hassle
because it's not easy for me to do it from single user mode.

Thanks.

- Nerius