amd64 or i386 for desktop use?

alive alive at dienub.org
Wed Mar 5 17:51:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:03 +0100, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 12:36:33AM -0500, Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
>> I have new hardware (Abit ip35-pro, Intel Q6600), and was contemplating
>> installing FreeBSD/arch, but now realise that I am going to have some
>> problems.
>>
>> My nvidia card will not be of much use (GeForce 8500GT), since
> nvidia-drivers
>> are not there for amd64, and the open source nv driver does not even
> support
>> XVideo extension for these cards. I can downgrade to a nv 7xxx series
> card,
>> which works better with the open driver. I do not mind loss of 3D
> support,
>> but would need basic things like mplayer.
>
> Any ATI card up to and including the 9250 (rv280) is fully supported on
> amd64, 3D and all. (I know because I've got one :-)
Oh, is that so? Could you please tell me how you got it to work? Because
I've got GREAT issues getting *ANY* ATI card to work with at least
Composite on FreeBSD and/or Linux. And I've even got i386. Or has something
happened since I last cried myself to sleep over this driverless hell?
--
Sincerely,
Rada