install/upgrade question

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Mar 5 14:30:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:59:45 -0500
"Tsu-Fan Cheng" <tfcheng at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I think this Q is pretty basic, but I just want to make sure. I was
> considering if upgrading from 6.3 to 7.0 and something goes wrong, and
> I need to do a fresh install. Can I only change/overwrite the /etc
> /usr, etc but leave /home intact?? thank you!!

Why not simply tar the dirs you want archived and save them off to some
other media? This way you are certainly covered almost to the point of
a hard disk failure.

With the price of blank CD's, DVD's, and thumb drives - this seems to be
a reasonable thing to consider.

But to answer your question (somewhat) if I were either that unsure of
what was going to happen (or paranoid) then I would most certainly have
a backup (tarball) of the "important" stuff before I tried anything.

Simply not invoking backups (of any type or any time) is silly.

Just my 1/2 cent (applied current rate of inflation).

--
Best regards,
Chris

Fingerprint: 4201 94F9 E77F 9357 F3F3 56B7 8D20 ECC7 1AB5 FEF8